The goal is:
- keep high quality 1920x1080p MJPEG sources for all conferences what will be post processed.
- encode in free software and open data formats like WebM/VP8/vorbis and Ogg/Theora/vorbis as well as proprietary codecs such as h264.
- do all that with exclusively FreeSoftware
Two types of cameras kit were used.
- one is based on NC353L-369 camera and was used with an external SATA HDD (with external power) and a T.BONE MICPLUG USB
- the other is based on NC353L camera, audio/video is not synced and recorded on the camera, but on a networked PC.
We used mainly computar's H3Z4518CS-MPIR and fujinon's HF16SA-1
We used Plextor 2.5" external eSATA and USB hard drive. When use with camera it is connected with a SATA-eSATA cable and powered with an external power supply. You can also use the disc as USB only connecting it to your PC for video post-processing.
T.BONE MICPLUG USB is compatible with ALSA running on the camera and provide phantom power to the microphone from USB. It also have a mini-jack output and gain control.
List of freesoftware needed to record video/audio, mux and stream.
Of course standard GNU/Linux
mencoder to record video
gstreamer-0.10 to record audio ffmpeg2theora to encode on theora