Elphel Research Lab
Invitation for collaboration to University of Utah students and faculty members
Elphel, Inc. is a Open Hardware and Free Software company, based in Utah, designing and manufacturing high-end digital cameras, used in a variety of applications, among which are Google Books and Google Streetview projects.
Our cameras are very flexible high-performance device, capable of image processing, analysis, compression, etc.. More information about camera configurations and capabilities can be found here: http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=353 Elphel NC353L cameras can be used as an open development platform, which can be modified on various levels - from high to low (from PHP to FPGA) depending on the task and skills, and can be reconfigured for different applications. They are already widely used in scientific applications, some of them are:
- SCINI project -camera was integrated in an underwater robot, designed by Moss Landing Marine Lab for observing the life under Antarctic Ice.
- NASA Global Hawk UAV - camera is used for photographic imaging of Earth from near-space.
- Apertus - developing cinematographic camera.
Elphel's current work in the fields of image processing and enhancement, optical calibration and aberration correction, is described on Elphel Development Blog; Other articles describe camera's capabilities as a reconfigurable device.
Elphel's cameras are used in research in many universities around the world, such as:
- CNRS (Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique), France
- Concordia University, Electrical & Computer Engineering, Canada
- Czech Technical University in Prague, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Czech Republic
- Massachusetts Institute Technology, Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, USA
- Niagara College, Research & Innovation, Canada
- Stanford University Computer Science Department, USA
- TU Dortmund, Department of Computer Science, Germany
- Technical University of Madrid, Department of Informatics, Spain
- University of Alcala, Electronics Department, Spain
- University of Cantabria, Spain
- Universidad de Concepción, Optics and Photonics Department, Chile
- University of Talca, Engineering Department, Chile
- University of Vaasa, Department of electrical engineering and automation, Finland
and other universities.
Elphel, Inc. would like to invite students majoring in engineering, physics and computer science
to work with Elphel for scientific research and development in the areas, including but not limited to:
- Image processing and post-processing: optical aberration correction, image enhancement
- IMU data processing for image correction
using Elphel camera open hardware and open source software (all software development has to be licensed under GNU GPL v3 license) as a development platform.
Possible project ideas within these areas will be discussed at the Elphel presentation / student interview, at Elphel office
After the initial research project is completed Elphel Inc. may offer a contract for finishing a product development based on the completed research.
If you are interested in collaboration with Elphel, Inc. please contact Andrey N. Filippov, PhD:
by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
or by phone: 801.783.5555x106